Report: United heartbreakingly defeated by last-minute Brisbane goal


Western United suffered a 2-1 loss to Brisbane Roar on Wednesday night, conceding a last-minute goal to end a four-game unbeaten run.

The line-up

Brendan Hamill and Iker Guarrotxena came into the side for Lachie Wales and the suspended Víctor Sánchez.

It was Guarrotxena’s first start since mid-April when United defeated Central Coast Mariners 1-0 in Launceston, Tasmania.

Luke Duzel made his return from a groin injury via the bench.

The Match 

Newly re-signed Dylan Pierias had United’s first real chance of the match, forcing a save by Roar’s keeper Jamie Young with a low strike.

The Roar had their first chance moments later when Jay O’Shea struck from distance. It was well read by Ryan Scott however who dived to his right before palming the ball out of danger.

Scott made a couple of more stunning saves shortly after, keeping out a pair of headed efforts from Daniel Wenzel-Halls and Macaulay Gillesphey.

The Roar was lucky not to go down to 10 men after Gillesphey nastily challenged Besart Berisha from behind. The referee deemed it only worthy of a yellow, however.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 59th minute when Alessandro Diamanti played in Wales, who scored with his first touch of the game.

Wales finessed his shot past Young to take his season tally to four.

The Roar found a way back into the game a little over 10 minutes later as Josh Brindell-South tapped home a rebounded Scott save to level the score.

The home side thought they had taken the lead in the 82nd minute as Wenzel-Halls pounced on a Tomoki Imai error before placing the ball in the bottom corner.

A VAR review showed a clear handball by Wenzel-Halls in the build-up however.

Brisbane eventually found the winner as Riku Danzaki got in behind the United defence before firing his shot past Scott.

Next match

Western United will travel to Sydney to take on Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday, 8 May at Bankwest Stadium. Kick-off is 7:10pm.