ALM Friendly Match Report: Western United 3-3 Adelaide United

Ben Garuccio Western United

Western United and Adelaide United played out an entertaining 3-3 draw in a friendly behind closed doors as the sides prepare for the return of the Isuzu UTE A-League Men.

With the first league game back coming up in just over a week, John Aloisi’s men will be hoping to hit the ground running after a thrilling 3-2 win over Wellington Phoenix in the last round before the break.

First Half

It was Adelaide that hit the ground running in this friendly though, taking an early lead when Hiroshi Ibusuki pounced on a giveaway at the back before coolly slotting past Jamie Young into the bottom corner.

United dominated the majority of possession throughout the first half but the Reds doubled their advantage before the half hour mark as Ethan Alagich placed a left-footed shot across Young and into the bottom right corner.

Aloisi’s side continued to enjoy the bulk of the ball but struggled to break Adelaide down until a flurry of chances just before the interval.

Aleksandar Prijovic thought he had pulled one back when he made a brilliant run in behind, but his delicate finish was hooked off the goal line just as it was about to ripple the net.

The Serbian then teed up James Troisi moments later for a shot that was well-saved by Joe Gauci, and Adelaide held off a late United set piece to hold the 2-0 lead into half-time.

Second Half

United set about getting back into the game and did so in quick time as Nicolas Milanovic made an impact off the bench.

The youngster was alert of the bench to steal the ball close to goal before running into the box and finishing with his opposite foot into the bottom corner.

Milanovic continued his purple patch with another goal soon after as United completed a rapid turnaround.

After Noah Botic pressed Gauci and forced an errant clearance that Josh Risdon pounced upon, the right-back then squaring the ball for Milanovic to sweep home.

The Green and Black continued to play on the front foot and an excellent solo goal from Dylan Pierias gave the side the lead. The No.5 streamed away from a number of defenders with his pace and skill before he rifled a strike into the roof of the net at the near post.

Adelaide scored their third and the final goal of the game with 15 minutes to play as George Blackwood took advantage of an error to roll the ball into an empty net.

United’s Isuzu UTE A-League squad will continue to build towards the first game back against Perth Glory at Macedonia Park on Saturday December 10.